Wednesday, July 25

Summer Time

It sure is summer time. And if no one has told you it is pretty hot these days. I guess these are what they call the dog days of summer or caniculares dies if your Roman. I guess that is where we get the term dog days of summer. (Sorry after I wrote "dog days" I had to look up where it came from.) And I am right these are indeed the dog days of summer. It starts in early July and goes to mid August.

And as I man the helm of the ship that is known as Everyday Joe's I experience something in the summer I have never experienced before. I've lived a fair number of places around the country and I have never experienced the summer time attitude I experience here in Fort Collins. It seems people check out and use summer as the excuse. Over and over I hear "it's summer" with a shrug of the shoulder. Maybe because we have a university in town everyone want to live the college lifestyle.

Either you know exactly what I am talking about and I don't need to explain further, or you have no idea and I have lost you as a reader already.

Joe's is defiantly different in the summer. It is a challenge to keep our large space cool. We do have a large swamp cooler on the roof but it can only do so much. It usually loses the battle around 1PM or so. Shades for our four large sky lights would help a lot in reducing the amount of heat the building collects. But I have no idea the logistics of installing those. An air conditioner would also do the trick. I imagine we would need a big one with a big price tag.

So in the mean time we well wait it out. Serving lots of iced lattes and Thai coffees. After all, "It's summer."

No comments: