Wednesday, July 11

Waves of Coffee

In my last post I made mention of something called the 3rd Wave. Now I will attempt to address the theory. It can be applied to many things, not just coffee, though the industry is trying to make it it's own.

1st Wave is consumption. My dad spent his whole life in the 1st wave. Coffee is just coffee. Something warm and caffeinated that one drinks on a daily basis because that is what you do.

2nd Wave is about enjoyment. This is when we as consumers start to put a little more thought into our coffee. Mostly this begins with exploring espresso drinks and the like. Basically moving beyond cream and sugar.

3rd Wave is about taking it one step further. The consumer starts to learn about coffee origins, brewing processes, and maybe even crop harvest times. Coffee geek would probably sum it up pretty good.

Those are the basics, though there are varying opinions and interpretations out there.

Most of the United States is in the 2nd Wave. Though there has been slow advancement into the 3rd wave, mostly in the Northwest. Here at Everyday Joe's we do our best to learn as much about coffee as possible. Our goal is to serve you the best cup of coffee in Fort Collins so the more we know the closer we will get to that goal. Though our first love is people. And we are careful never to put coffee before humans. I admit that can be tough at times, I've yet to have a cup of coffee talk back.

3 comments:

Amy said...

And then there are those of us stuck in wave zero, who just don't like coffee. Sorry. :)

Amy said...

I still like you're blog, though!!

Amy said...

Even if I can't spell.

("you're" Hmmmph! I get paid to edit newsletter copy and I leave this...)