Monday, November 6

Too Nice for November

So here it is November 6th and it is just too darn nice outside. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, just wish I could be out of doors in stead of indoors typing at a computer. Today I also realized that it is November 6th. That means that exactly 15 years ago today I was experiencing my first day of basic training. But that is a story for another blog.

Mondays are the day for paying bills and ordering coffee and tea. Though Stumptown informed me today that coffee orders need to be in on Sundays from here on out. Which means Mondays will be tea and bill pay day.

Stumptown, have I talked about Stumptown yet? Stumptown is a coffee roaster in Portland Oregon. For those of you that do not know we are pretty lucky to have Stumptown Coffee here at Everyday Joe's. They are currently the 2006 Roaster of the Year according to Roaster Magazine. A lot of Everyday Joe's is modeled after Stumptown. Thanks to them we only do French Press brewing of our house coffee. It also thanks to them that we know what it means to be a barista and not simply a latte maker. Stumptown roasts in small batches and they also build personal relationships with the farmers that grow their coffee. This is what some call better than fair trade. There is a lot to be said about Stumptown so if you want to know more check out their website here.

I myself have been working on my barista skills for roughly 3 years now. And it is humbling just how much there is to know about the art of making espresso drinks. It was just this year that my latte art started to take shape. Lately I have been trying to create a "signature" drink but have not settled on anything yet. There is defiantly a balance of knowledge for me when it comes to coffee. I really do have the goal of being the best barista in Fort Collins but coffee knowledge is also way down on the list of life priorities. That is where the balance part comes in.

Well it is 4:38PM Monday afternoon and I have been here at Joe's since about 6:15Am, I think I am starting to run out of steam. So I think I'll leave you for today gentle reader. Remember, take care of yourself, and each other.

Dickens Out.

No comments: